Leaving Different

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galatians 6:10

New Book Suggestions (For July 2011)

Poll

Pick a Book:

[ 2 ]
    New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_lcap67%New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_rcap [67%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_lcap0%New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_lcap0%New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_lcap33%New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) I_vote_rcap [33%] 

Total Votes: 3
    Poll closed
    Chelsea
    Chelsea
    Admin

New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) Empty New Book Suggestions (For July 2011)

Post  Chelsea Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Post any ideas you have on book it might be good for the group to read here. We'll vote on books at a later date.

Last edited by Chelsea on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chelsea
    Chelsea
    Admin

New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) Empty Re: New Book Suggestions (For July 2011)

Post  Chelsea Sun May 08, 2011 9:33 pm

This is my suggestion. I haven't read the book, but it's by John Piper (who I approve of) and it's a book with a lot of praise regarding it's life-changing-ness. And I think it's a good follow up to The Me.

Book: Desiring God
    Author: John Piper
    Summary (from B&N): EXPERIENCE THE LIFELONG PLEASURES OF KNOWING GOD.

Satisfaction…Happiness…Joy. According to John Piper, the pursuit of pleasure in God is not only permissible, it’s essential.

Desiring God is a paradigm-shattering work that dramatically alters common perspectives on relating to God. Piper reveals that there really is no need to choose between duty and delight in the Christian life. In fact, for the follower of Jesus, delight is the duty as Christ is most magnified in His people when they are most satisfied in Him.

Constantly drawing on Scripture to build his case, Piper shows why pursuing maximum joy is essential to glorifying God. He discusses the implications of this for conversion, worship, love, Scripture, prayer, money, marriage, missions, and suffering.

Piper beckons us to approach God with the hedonist’s abandon. Finally, we are freed to enjoy Jesus—not only as our Lord and Savior, but also as our all-surpassing, soul-satisfying Treasure.

Desiring God may turn your Christian world upside down. And that will be a good thing, for the glory of God, and for your deepest joy.

B&N Link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Desiring-God-Revised-Edition/John-Piper/e/9781601423108/?itm=6&USRI=desiring+god
    Chelsea
    Chelsea
    Admin

New Book Suggestions (For July 2011) Empty Re: New Book Suggestions (For July 2011)

Post  Chelsea Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Here's another possible book:

Book: Crazy Love
    Author: Francis Chan
    Summary (from B&N): God is love. Crazy, relentless, all-powerful love. Have you ever wondered if we're missing it?

It's crazy, if you think about it. The God of the universe—the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor—loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrifi cing love. And what is our typical response? We go to church, sing songs, and try not to cuss.

Whether you've verbalized it yet or not.we all know something's wrong.

Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and don'ts-it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same.

Because when you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything.

B&N Link:http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Crazy-Love/Francis-Chan/e/9781434768513/
    Chelsea
    Chelsea
    Admin

Post  Chelsea Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:46 pm

And another:

Book: Not A Fan
    Author:Kyle Idleman
    Summary (from B&N):Are you a follower of Jesus?Don't answer too quickly.In fact, you may want to read this book before you answer at all. Consider it a 'Define the Relationship' conversation to determine exactly where you stand. You may indeed be a passionate, fully devoted follower of Jesus. Or, you may be just a fan who admires Jesus but isn't ready to let him cramp your style. Then again, maybe you're not into Jesus, period.In any case, don't take the question---Are you a follower of Jesus?---lightly.Some people don't know what they've said yes to and other people don't realize what they've said no to, says Pastor Kyle Idleman. But Jesus is ready to clearly define the relationship he wants with his followers.Not a Fan calls you to consider the demands and rewards of being a true disciple. With frankness sprinkled with humor, Idleman invites you to live the way Jesus lived, love the way he loved, pray the way he prayed, and never give up living for the One who gave his all for you.

B&N Link:http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Not-A-Fan/Kyle-Idleman/e/9780310331933/
    Chelsea
    Chelsea
    Admin

Post  Chelsea Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Last one (probably):

Book: When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everday Apologetics
    Author: Paul Copan
    Summary (from B&N):Guidance for those deep coffeehouse conversations about God

What do you say when someone raises tough objections to the Christian worldview, like

•Why not just look out for yourself?

•Isn't it okay to do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt anyone?

•Is it ever okay to lie?

•Aren't some people born gay?

•Do people really believe miracles happen?

•Aren't the Bible's holy wars just like Islamic Jihad?

In When God Goes to Starbucks, renowned apologetics expert Paul Copan tackles these and other vexing questions. He offers wise and relevant answers that will not only help you clarify your own beliefs but empower you to articulate those beliefs to others.

B&N Link:http://search.barnesandnoble.com/When-God-Goes-to-Starbucks/Paul-Copan/e/9780801067433/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content