Galatians 6:10

Leaving Different: May Edition

Chelsea
    Admin

Leaving Different: May Edition

Post  Chelsea on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:40 pm

As a reminder for those who were there and for the information of those who were not, the May LD meeting is going to be quite different.

The first important note is that there will be no discussion on The Me I Want to Be. That means the discussion on the last section (Parts 5-7) will be delayed until the June meeting. However, there is a new section on the forum (click here) for suggestions on the next book we should read. If you have any you think would be good, post it there (along with a brief summary if you'd be so kind) and we'll vote on it at a later date - either at the May meeting or in a forum poll. Additionally, there will be no mini-sermons.

Instead of these two things, we'll be semi-planning out this summer. What each person needs to do is come up with a list. This list should include: things you need to work on devotionally (Bible reading, prayer, etc), spiritually (maintaining God-pleasing thoughts, working on patience, etc), real life practices (how you treat people, what you watch/listen to, etc), spiritual gifts you've been given and know you need to start using for God, or anything else the Spirit or your friends prompt you into working on this summer. Each person needs to bring their list to the meeting and from there we'll have discussion. Going through each person's list, we'll help them figure out practical ways to work on those things this summer (you might want to include on your list ways you've thought of working on it if you have any ideas). Whether it's taking up discipleship under another member of the group (especially for things like Bible reading) or a community service idea, we'll brainstorm a practical plan for each person to walk through this summer. The hope in this is that we'll actually live out the name of this group and leave this summer with each person having grown in his/her relationship with Christ.

My Blog: Seek Ye First
    Chelsea
    Admin

Re: Leaving Different: May Edition

Post  Chelsea on Fri May 27, 2011 2:31 pm

For those that see this before tonight's meeting, I encourage you to listen to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUqCbZ6Seuo

I've heard this song a lot (Casting Crowns is one of my favorite bands). But listening to it just a few minutes ago, I felt really convicted by those lyrics. "If we are the body, why aren't His arms reaching? Why aren't His hands healing?" (Laura and Bresnahan, I apologize, but I'm going to use Skyline as my example, because that's what I'm familiar with. Hopefully you will see parallels to your own experience) The first few weeks of Sky94 there were 200+ people (which is almost three times the size of Jason's dad's entire church mind you). For the third Becoming message, there were maybe 40.

It's not God's fault people aren't coming to church. "If we are the body..." It's not Jason's fault or Trey's fault or Pastor Garlow's fault. "If we are the body..." It's not their job or responsibility either. "If we are the body..."

There were 5 people at Breakout this Wednesday (including the pastor...Ellis). Granted, there was some AWANA thing, so the parents were at that. But guys, we go to a megachurch. Skyline's average weekend attendance in 2,000 people and there are only 5 young adults (one of which - the pastor - doesn't even belong to Skyline) that could show up to a Bible study.

For those that do not know, in February (when we move into the new building) the whole building that is currently Skyline (all four floors of it) is going to become the church's youth center. All of it. Skyline does not currently have the youth program to deserve something like that.

"If we are the body..."

So that's my question for you Skyliners (and Laura and Bresnahan for your respective spheres of influence). If we are the body...what are we going to do about it? I've gone to Skyline for 5 years. Frankly, I can't name one thing I've done for that place other than show up. While I can't go back and fix that, I don't want to just show up to church anymore. I want to be the body of Christ.

My Blog: Seek Ye First

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:04 pm