Galatians 6:10

My Whatever

Chelsea
    Admin

My Whatever

Post  Chelsea on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 pm

This comes from Part 3 Chapter 10 of The Me.

One thing that really stuck out to me in this chapter is the section titled "Free to Think about 'Whatever..'" on page 104. In this section Ortberg says:
    The Bible itself commands us to look beyond just the Bible to feed our minds.

As we're going through this book, I'm also "journaling" some of my thought on specific parts in my LD composition book. This is what I wrote in response to the above quote (sorry for making up words).
    "The Bible itself commands us to look beyond just the Bible to feed our minds." Bio is my "Whatever" [one of them anyway]. If we keep the Bible caged up in the Bible, then it does no one any good. By looking outside the Bible, we become relevant. But by being founded in the Bible first, we become relevant without losing our set apart-ness. God didn't create us to sit around and read the Bible all day. He created the world, so the things of God are everywhere. It is our delight to find those [things]. It is those things that fuel us to be "in this world, but not of this world."

Within that sloppily strung together set of sentences is probably a point, but that's not what I care about in this post. When I read this section of the book, my first thought was biology. For me, God's Word makes so much sense in the context of biology. When I'm studying the insane mechanisms inside cells, I have no problem believing that God created the world. And not only that. I have full confidence in God's power and control over the world. More than any sermon or (not God-breathed) book, that gives me assurance enough to trust Him. While secular professors try to hammer my mind with anti-creationist thoughts, I see in evolution a God who so loved the world that He'd place in them - before the time was even necessary - the mechanisms to survive a broken world.

Then I go to the Bible. A lot of people like the book of Job. I'm not a fan. The thing I remember most about Job is this:
    Do you hunt the prey for the lioness
    and satisfy the hunger of the lions
    when they crouch in their dens
    or lie in wait in a thicket?
    Who provides food for the raven
    when its young cry out to God
    and wander about for lack of food? (Job 38:39-41)

The Psalms are great. I'll never forget:
    All creatures look to you
    to give them their food at the proper time.
    When you give it to them,
    they gather it up;
    when you open your hand,
    they are satisfied with good things.
    When you hide your face,
    they are terrified;
    when you take away their breath,
    they die and return to the dust.
    When you send your Spirit,
    they are created,
    and you renew the face of the ground. (Psalm 104: 27-30)

It blows my mind. I can't even describe. Reading passages like these excites me even more about biology, which excites me more about the Bible. It's a circle of excitement.

At Breakout last week, Jason vaguely mentioned the idea of meditating on the God's Word (which is mentioned in the New Testament by someone - I think Paul or Peter - but I can't find it at the moment). As Ortberg says here, we're also to meditate on "whatever" (See Philippians 4:8 - which I'm 100% confident is Paul Razz).

My Blog: Seek Ye First

Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 am