Galatians 6:10

Lent in Narnia

Eric

Lent in Narnia

Post  Eric on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Or “Would C.S. Lewis Give Up Turkish Delight for Lent?"

I’ve not been indiscreet about my admiration for Lewis, and this particular subject is one I’ve really been meaning to get into. Anyway, I’m tempted to expound at length here, but I’m really more interested in your thoughts on this.

So, thoughts?
    Chelsea
    Admin

Re: Lent in Narnia

Post  Chelsea on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:13 am

As we enter into the season of Lent, it might be helpful to see these 40 days not so much a time of renunciation (unless, of course, we have things to renounce) but a time of reordering, a time to slow down, step back, and carefully examine the things we have actively made or passively allowed to become the first things and second things in our lives.

I agree. I don't participate in Lent (though I do fast when the time comes), but I think there is something to be said about times of reordering in general. The beginning of the article was talking about how "Feasts are good, though now we fast" and I think this ties in well with the whole renunciation vs reordering thing.

To me, if you're renouncing something, it generally means it's bad in the first place. Lent (or just fasting in general) isn't about giving up temporarily something you shouldn't have been partaking in in the first place. It's about denying yourself something, so you can focus on God. (and in giving it up, you're declaring that it holds no power over you. That God is more important).

But if what you are giving up is not bad in the first place, then it's actual sacrifice. There is no need to renounce it; it's not bad. You're simply shifting your priorities to focus more fully on God.

I particularly like the last half of that sentence that begins with "...but a time of reordering..." to the end. To me, that's not just something for Lent. We should all, in my opinion, have times of spiritual spring cleaning. Times where you cut back on things in order to really examine what is important in your life.

My Blog: Seek Ye First

Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 am