Galatians 6:10

Christian Foster Care in Britain

Chelsea
    Admin

Christian Foster Care in Britain

Post  Chelsea on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:53 pm

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/high.court.upholds.bar.on.christian.foster.carers.over.homosexuality.views/27592.htm

When I read things like this, I find it really hard to believe people when they tell me that same-sex marriage will have no affects on my rights as a Christian.

What are your opinions on this? Is it paranoid to think that what is happening now in Britain would happen in the U.S.?

My Blog: Seek Ye First
    Obijuan

Re: Christian Foster Care in Britain

Post  Obijuan on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:35 am

This is insane, we might "infect" kids with our Christian beliefs? Christianity is not an infection its a way of life. Honestly I think a Christian couple would be one of the best choices for foster parents. Personally I think there is reason to be paranoid about things like this coming to the U.S. I think it is already starting happen here in the states but I don't know if it is bad as in this article.

Eric

Post  Eric on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Sadly, what is most noteworthy about this news is how unsurprising it is. This sort of news has been emerging out of Europe (and, to a lesser extent, Canada) for a long time. Chelsea, you are absolutely right to note the connection to homosexual issues in the United States. Advocates of "gay rights" (to use the advocates' term) like to couch the debate in terms of Christians imposing their morality through the government and taking away the rights of homosexuals, but when we look at the actual policies and results the inverse is true (see Dan McLaughlin’s article on the anti-Prop 8 court decision and its imposition of morality: http://baseballcrank.com/archives2/2010/08/lawpolitics_the_1.php). As a political conservative, I naturally broadly oppose the policy goals of gay rights activists because of the greater government involvement in and control of society, but as Christians we ought to recognize that these efforts are ultimately an assault on our values and our role in society.

Eric

Post  Eric on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Of course, we can’t let that make us anti-homosexuals, like the hateful folks of the Westboro “church,” whose “God Hates Fags” attitude is profoundly un-Christian. We recognize that we are all sinners and that God loves us all, and we must endeavor to reach with that love to all of his people that they might be saved as well.
    Chelsea
    Admin

Post  Chelsea on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:41 am

Sadly, what is most noteworthy about this news is how unsurprising it is.

Unfortunately so.

Of course, we can’t let that make us anti-homosexuals, like the hateful folks of the Westboro “church,” whose “God Hates Fags” attitude is profoundly un-Christian. We recognize that we are all sinners and that God loves us all, and we must endeavor to reach with that love to all of his people that they might be saved as well.

Agreed. Though Pastor Ryan Sharp was talking at Alliance about "loving violently" and how we're supposed to be tearing down the gates of hell by bringing the light of Jesus. Unfortunately, so many people are afraid of becoming the "Jesus Freak" that they instead "love cowardly." (cowardicely? with cowardice...w/e. the opposite of "violently") Instead of bringing Christ's love, people (and I include myself in this, unfortunately) just accept that people sin and there is nothing they can do about. To me, that's almost (if not equally) as "un-Christian" as the homophobes. There is no love in tolerating sin. If you really love someone, you'll throw your everything into saving them, even if in the end they tag you as a freak. Hate to make the obvious connection, but that's what Jesus did. People mocked him and taunted him and labeled him a freak, but he loved us so deeply that it didn't phase him.

"But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh."

Jude 1:17-23

I think Jude sums up my point nicely.

My Blog: Seek Ye First

Eric

Post  Eric on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 am

Chelsea wrote:

Agreed. Though Pastor Ryan Sharp was talking at Alliance about "loving violently" and how we're supposed to be tearing down the gates of hell by bringing the light of Jesus. Unfortunately, so many people are afraid of becoming the "Jesus Freak" that they instead "love cowardly." (cowardicely? with cowardice...w/e. the opposite of "violently") Instead of bringing Christ's love, people (and I include myself in this, unfortunately) just accept that people sin and there is nothing they can do about. To me, that's almost (if not equally) as "un-Christian" as the homophobes. There is no love in tolerating sin. If you really love someone, you'll throw your everything into saving them, even if in the end they tag you as a freak. Hate to make the obvious connection, but that's what Jesus did. People mocked him and taunted him and labeled him a freak, but he loved us so deeply that it didn't phase him.

"But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh."

Jude 1:17-23

I think Jude sums up my point nicely.

I completely agree. When I posted that quick follow up post, I just wanted to be very clear that we ought not to take the moral and policy concerns I brought up too far. Going too far in the other direction places the same risk. I really ought to have included that line which is one of my two favorite "famous bible verses that aren't in the bible" (the other being Franklin's "God helps those who help themselves"): Love the sinner, hate the sin. Just as we must not judge, hate, or condemn individuals but instead reach out to them in love, we must never extend that love to the activities, which are foul in God's sight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:26 am